NexWave Interferential Current Machine for Pain Relief and Rehabilitation
NexWave Digital Deep TENS Machine
NexWave is a multiple mode dual channel device that incorporates 3 Therapy Modalities in a single compact and easy to use medical device:
- Interferential Current (IFC)
- Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS)
- Neuromuscular Stimulation (NMES)
Interferential current therapy is frequently called 'deep TENS' or ‘deeper TENS’ as the IFC currents penetrate deeper into tissues, whilst causing far less discomfort by comparison to traditional TENS therapy. The IFC current reduces swelling and pain, speeds up healing and restores muscles functionality. IFC devices are generally regarded to be more effective and the most frequent users of the IFC are people, who have not responded well to pain relief therapy with traditional TENS machines.
Interferential therapy stimulation differs from standard TENS and EMS. During TENS or EMS low frequency electrical signals (i.e. 2 – 200 pulses/second) enter the surface of the skin below the skin electrodes. Interferential stimulation depends on the interference (i.e. interaction) between 2 medium frequency electrical outputs from 2 different channels that differ in frequency. The current produced by one channel interacts (i.e. interferes) with the current of the other channel. The process leads to ‘interference current’ operating frequency equal to the difference between the 2 interacting currents. The frequencies used in interferential therapy stimulation are much greater than TENS and EMS currents and therefore the interferential currents are capable of reaching tissues at deeper levels.
As an integrated combination therapy device, the NexWave delivers therapeutic benefits of 3 independent treatment modalities (IFC, TENS, NMES), which can be used selectively for optimum benefits as required, addressing specific needs and circumstances. Affordable, effective and safe, the NexWave can help to relieve your pain at home and on a go!
*VAT exemption is available for personal use by people with relevant chronic conditions.
NexWave IFC TENS NMES background
NexWave is a medical device that integrates 3 popular therapeutic electrotherapy modalities – IFC, TENS, NMES - into a single compact and user friendly device. NexWave is a Class 2 a Medical Device (CE 0470, MDD 93/42/EEC) that is suitable for continuous operation. NexWave special features include 3 therapeutic modalities (IFC, TENS, NMES), 9 programmed treatment modes, large illuminated display, built-in timer, portability and ease of use.
- IFC – Interferential Current: It is believed that the IFC current penetrates into deeper tissues than traditional TENS as the IFC current is focused and concentrated at the centre point of intersection between the skin electrodes. Furthermore, this is potentiated by the current concentration occurring not only in the deep tissues, but also on the surface of the skin, which is 100 times less resistant to IFC stimulation than to other forms of electric stimuli. Low skin resistance enables more stimulation energy reaching the nerves and muscle fibres for greater effectiveness of the therapeutic stimulation. IFC current is used to treat pain and swelling, restore muscle function and speed up healing. IFC therapy requires the use of 2 stimulation channels.
- TENS – Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation: There are low frequency and high frequency TENS currents. TENS currents provide pain relief by blocking pain signals from reaching the brain (i.e. Pain Gate Control Theory) and by stimulation of sensory nerves that promotes release of body’s own natural pain suppressor substances called endorphins in the pituitary gland in the brain and encephalin in the spinal cord (i.e. Endorphin Release Theory). The Pain Gate Control effect of the TENS currents produces a rapid pain relief that ceases soon after TENS treatment is paused. The Endorphin Release effect has a slower onset, however, it produces more lasting pain relief that can last for some hours after the TENS treatment ceases.
- NMES – Neuromuscular Stimulation: NMES is also commonly referred to as Electrical Muscle Stimulation (EMS). Neuromuscular stimulation is very useful in prevention of muscular atrophy caused by immobility after injures, strokes or during convalescence after surgery or illness. NMES stimulates local blood flow, strengthens and rehabilitates muscles, increases range of motion and improves mobility. NMES is also used as an adjunct to sports training to improve muscles strength and endurance. Additionally, NMES helps to ease pain caused by sore or tight muscles and muscle spasm.
Using the NexWave
- NexWave is indicated for the management and symptomatic relief of chronic intractable pain, post-traumatic pain and post-surgical pain.
- Using the NexWave is simple and you will quickly master how to operate and apply it for the optimum outcomes and greatest pain relief. The NexWave can also be used as an adjunct therapy for the treatment of medical conditions and diseases under the supervision of medical professionals.
- You should not be using the NexWave, if you have been fitted with a cardiac demand pacemaker and to treat any undiagnosed pain syndromes. All contraindications, precautions and warnings are listed in the User Manual. You must fully familiarise yourself with the content of the User Manual prior to the first use and follow its recommendations.
- Turn the NexWave on using the On/Off button.
- Select the treatment modality by pressing the modality buttons, allowing you to select the IFC, TENS or NMES.
- The IFC modality has 3 modes fully described in the User Manual (Low-High, Low, Combo).
- The TENS modality has 3 modes fully described in the User Manual (Sweep, Low Modulated, High Modulated).
- Then NMES modality has 3 modes fully described in the User Manual (30: 10, 20: 10, 10: 10).
- You can increase and decrease intensity using the + and – intensity buttons for each of the 2 channels. Please remember, that the stimulation signal should be strong, but remain at your personal comfort level.
- Treatment time can be set using the Treatment Timer button and the device will cease to work automatically upon reaching the present time limit. If you set the NexWave to No Timer option, you will be required to switch off the device manually by pressing the On/Off button. Remaining treatment time is shown on the LCD screen.
- Stimulation mode and level can be changed using the Unlock button.
- Low battery indicator warns of the need to replace the battery or use the device connected to mains power with the A/C adaptor.
- When placing the self-adhesive skin electrodes on the treatment area, ensure the skin is clean and non-greasy.
- For IFC treatment, ensure that the skin electrodes are in the Crisscrossed Pattern. For TENS and/or NMES the skin electrodes should be placed in the Up and Down Pattern side-by side. The Patterns for skin electrodes placing are illustrated in the user manual for your convenience.
The User Manual suggests treatment modalities, relevant modes and treatment time duration and shows skin electrodes placement positions for the following painful conditions:
- Radicular Back Pain – Sciatica (TENS)
- Lumbar Back Pain (IFC, TENS, NMES)
- Thoracic Back Pain (IFC, TENS, NMES)
- Cervical / Upper Back Pain (IFC, TENS, NMES)
- Shoulder Pain (IFC, TENS, NMES)
- Elbow Pain (IFC, TENS)
- Wrist Pain (IFC, TENS)
- Hip Pain (IFC, TENS, NMES)
- Back of Leg Pain (IFC, TENS, NMES)
- Anterior Knee Pain (IFC, TENS, NMES)
- Lateral / Medical Knee Pain (IFC, TENS, NMES)
- Ankle Pain (IFC, TENS)
- Foot Pain (IFC, TENS)
- Post-Operative Knee Pain (IFC, TENS, NMES)
- Muscle Spasm Pain (IFC, NMES)
NexWave Technical Specifications
Interferential Current (IFC):
- Amplitude: 0 – 50 mA
- Channel 1 frequency: 4000 Hz
- Channel 2 frequency: 4001 – 4128 Hz
- I/F Modes: Low-High, Low, Combo
- Muscle Mode: 64 Hz, 6 seconds on, 6 seconds off, ramp up 1 second, ramp down 0.5 seconds
- Waveform: Symmetrical bi-phasic
Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation (TENS):
- Amplitude: 0 – 100 mA
- Frequency: 1 – 125 Hz
- Pulse Width: 120 – 300 µS
- TENS Modes: Sweep, Low Modulated, High Modulated
- Waveform: Symmetrical bi-phasic
Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation (NMES):
- Amplitude: 0 – 100 mA
- Frequency: 35 Hz
- Pulse Width: 480 µS
- NMES Modes: 30: 10, 20: 10, 10: 10
- On-Time: 10 seconds
- Off Time: 30, 20 or 10 seconds
- Ramp Up: 3 seconds
- Ramp Down: 1 second
- Waveform: Symmetrical b-iphasic
- Treatment timer: 10 to 90 minutes, in 10 minute increments, with no timer setting.
- Compliance meter: Records total usage time in minutes and number of times used.
- Dimensions: 72 x 120 x 27.5 mm
- Weight: 125 g (excluding battery)
- Power supply: 9 V alkaline battery or mains power 100 – 240 V ~ 50/60 Hz
- Warranty: 5 years on materials and workmanship (excluding accessories and consumables)
UK Shipping Schedule and Costs
UK delivery speed and cost are selectable in the Checkout. All orders are shipped in plain discreet packaging.
- UK Regular Delivery (£4.50 + VAT):
Delivery in 2 - 3 working days. Orders must be received before 2 pm (Monday – Friday).
- UK Next Day by Courier (£7.50 + VAT):
Next Day Delivery by Courier for orders received before 2 pm on working days (Monday to Friday) - expect delivery on next working day (Monday to Friday).
- UK Free Delivery Option for online only orders of £50.00 excluding VAT or more:
UK Free Delivery Option for online only orders of £50.00 excluding VAT or more is free and takes approximately 5 - 6 working days. Purchases shipped with Free Delivery cannot be tracked!
- UK Saturday Delivery (£13.50 + VAT):
Saturday Delivery applies only to the UK Mainland Only. Saturday Delivery Orders must be placed before 2 pm on the Friday. Orders received after 2 pm on Friday will be delivered on Saturday next week.
Overseas Shipping Schedule
- Overseas deliveries take approximately 7 - 14 working days depending on destination.
- Shipping costs depend on the type of goods and the delivery address.
- Cost of shipping is shown in the Checkout prior to the completion of the purchase.
- VAT is removed automatically from all purchases for deliveries outside the EU.
- Customs Fees or Import Duties may be charged in the country of destination outside the EU. If such charges apply, they are the customer’s responsibility. Custom Fees or Import Duties do not apply to deliveries to EU countries.
72 x 120 27.5 mm / Weight: 125 g excluding battery
NexWave IFC TENS NMES kit consists of the control unit, adapter fitted with 3 pin UK plug and lead (mains power 100 – 240 V ~ 50 / 60 Hz), 4 packs of 4 round skin electrodes 50 mm diameter, 2 sets of connective lead wires (black lead wire with 2 black pins, grey lead wire with 2 red pins), 4 x 9 V batteries and user manual. CE mark Medical Device (CE 0470). 5 years warranty.
VAT exemption is available, when purchased for personal use by people with relevant chronic conditions. VAT relief declaration must be completed online at the time of purchase.