Venowave VW5-6 Mobile Compression Device for Deep Vein Thrombosis Prevention
Prevention of DVT and VTE with the Venowave VW5-6 Calf Pump
Venowave VW5-6 Mobile Compression Device is a new model of the Venowave calf pump, especially designed for prevention of the DVT.
Venowave VW5-6 benefits
- Prevention of deep vein thrombosis
- Increased mobility
- Ability to exercise
- Pain management
- Return to normal life, including work
Venowave VW5-6 is supplied in kits containing 2 units of the Venowave (TWIN PACK) as well as a battery charger and batteries. The Venowave VW5-6 is equipped with features requested or recommended by hospital clinicians specialising in DVT and its prevention.Venowave VW5-6 machines are microprocessor controlled and feature on board compliance meters and low battery alarms. Battery life is 20-24 hours per charge to reduce battery charging to once daily with a spare set of batteries provided, enabling one set of batteries to be in use and another on charge – ensuring continuity of the DVT preventing therapy.
Venowave VW5-6 is optimized for DVT prevention and runs slowly and quietly for long term continuous use that is essential for therapeutic DVT preventive efficacy. Venowave VW5-6 is a medical device statistically proven to prevent occurrence of DVT in people at risk. Venowave VW5-6 enhances circulation and helps to prevent problems caused by poor circulation.
Easy to apply and simple to use, the Venowave VW5-6 delivers a safe and effective solution to problems associated with poor blood flow, helping to regain your mobility and independence. With 2 fully charged AA batteries, the Venowave VW5 Mobile Compression Calf Pump can provide you with up to 24 hours of continuous circulatory support.
Venowave is FDA cleared, Health Canada certified and holds CE mark Medical Device accreditation (CE0086 - MDD 93/42/EEC).
Venowave VW5-6 Mobile Compression Device solution to DVT prevention
Venowave VW5-6 is safe, effective, affordable, easy to use and designed for circulation support at home. Venowave delivers the advantages of traditional hospital-based compression in a battery-operated wearable device.
Using a new mechanical technology, self-contained Venowave is light and compact and can run for up to 24 hours on its rechargeable battery. Operating without hoses or cables, it fits easily under clothing. Venowave incorporates the capabilities of a hospital compression system in a wearable circulation enhancing device. Venowave’s crank driven action effectively mimics the peristaltic action of actual muscle compression and relaxation. Venowave is totally self-contained for complete mobility. It can generate up to 130 mm of mercury pressure for effective use during sitting or standing.
Venowave comes with 2 full sets of batteries, allowing one set to be charged, whilst the other is in use for continuous DVT prophylaxis. The efficient mechanical drive can run for up to 24 hours on a single battery charge, allowing day’s wear and a full night’s sleep before battery swap.
Venowave is quiet for undistracted day use and undisturbed ease of sleep. Its steady massaging action goes largely unnoticed by users. Positive displacement pumping action adjusts to user’s body position, applying pressure of up to 130 mm of mercury. Quiet and comfortable to wear, Venowave VW 5-6 runs for a long time on one battery charge, encouraging compliance. Compliance meter can be read and checked on the device. Venowave can be used with or without prescribed pharmaceutical medications.
Venowave VW5-6 for DVT
Deep vein thrombosis and blood clotting complications are very common. NHS Choices estimate that one in every 1000 people in the UK is affected by DVT and that circa 25000 people admitted to hospitals die from preventable blood clots every year. (Source: NHS Choices website 2013: Deep Vein Thrombosis)
DVT frequently occurs in deep leg veins, which run through the calf muscles and thigh muscles. When a part of a blood clot detaches itself and travels in the blood stream towards lungs, where it settles and blocks a blood vessel, causing pulmonary embolism. DVT and pulmonary embolism together are called venous thromboembolism (VTE).
DVT can strike people of any age, but becomes more common as we age. Other risk factors include family history of thrombosis, previous thrombosis, inactivity (i.e. bed-bound or immobile after surgical procedure), serious medical conditions (i.e. heart problems or cancer, excessive body weight, smoking, pregnancy and long haul air travel (> 4 hours). Undergoing surgery, being hospitalised and taking some drug treatments also increases the risk of DVT.
The traditional gold standards in prevention of DVT are graduated compression stockings and anti-coagulants. More recently, pneumatic compression devices are increasingly being used, whilst the patient is bed bound or immobile and mains power can be used to operate the pneumatic device.
The Venowave VW5-6 Mobile Compression Device offers the advantage of total portability that enables the user to move freely, whilst peristaltic wave compression is applied. There are no wires, tubes or sleeves and the power is provided by rechargeable NiMH (AA_ batteries. The Venowave VW5-6 enables active lifestyle, whilst delivering impressive clinical efficacy across conditions developed as a result of chronic venous insufficiency (CVI) and effectively preventing venous thromboembolism (VTE).
Venowave contributes to:
- Prevention of DVT (deep vein thrombosis)
- Prevention of VTE (venous thromboembolism)
- Reduction of post operative pain and swelling
- Circulation improvement
Venowave VW5-6 Mobile Compression Device can be used as a standalone therapy modality or alongside traditional interventions, such as blood thinners and compression stockings. Venowave VW5-6 is suitable for use in hospitals prior to discharge or during homecare after leaving hospital. Venowave VW5-6 is perfect for home use as a long term venous return support in people with chronic circulatory problems.
Using Venowave VW5-6 Mobile Compression Device
Venowave is easy to use and does not require calibration or special maintenance. Batteries recommended for use with the Venowave are rechargeable NiMH batteries (2000 mAh or higher).
- Fit the device with fully charged batteries
- Ensure your other set of batteries is place on charge
- Place the Venowave device on your calf c 5 cm below the crease of your knee with the image of the heart on the device and the arrows pointing upwards
- Wrap cuff around your calf and fasten with Velcro straps
- Press ‘on’ button to turn on – the device begins to work immediately
- At the end of the prescribed/recommended period turn the device off and remove from your leg
- Use continuously for best outcomes in DVT prevention or as recommended by your doctor
- You can use your Venowave VW5-6 during day and night for 24 hour DVT prevention therapy
Venowave VW5-6 specifications
- Description: Mobile peristaltic wave pump
- Power: battery powered (2 x NiMH rechargeable AA batteries)
- Size: 190 x 100 x 48 mm (unit without cuff and packaging)
- Maximum calf circumference: 58 cm
- Weight: 240 g
- Operation: 1 speed
- CE mark Medical Device
- 3 months warranty
- You must not apply the Venowave VW5 over open leg wounds or unhealed ulcers.
- If you have a current Deep Vein Thrombosis, consult your doctor prior to using Venowave.
- Sobieraj-Teague M, Hirsh J, Yip G, Gastaldo F, Stokes T, Sloane D, O’Donnell MJ, Eikelboom JW. (2011). Randomized controlled trial of a new portable calf compression device (Venowave) for prevention of venous thrombosis in high-risk neurosurgical patients. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 10 (229–35): 7. DOI:10.1111/j.1538-7836.2011.04598.x.
- Alexander G.G. Turpie, FRCP; Jack Hirsh, MD; Michael Gent, MS; Denise Julian, MS; Judith Johnson, RN. Prevention of Deep Vein Thrombosis in Potential Neurosurgical Patients. Archives of Internal Medicine March 1989;149(3):679-681.
Venowave VW5-6 Mobile Compression Device for DVT Prevention – your perfect companion in the fight against DVT!
UK Shipping Schedule and Costs
UK delivery speed and cost are selectable in the Checkout. All orders are shipped in plain discreet packaging.
- UK Regular Delivery (£4.50 + VAT):
Delivery in 2 - 3 working days. Orders must be received before 2 pm (Monday – Friday).
- UK Next Day by Courier (£7.50 + VAT):
Next Day Delivery by Courier for orders received before 2 pm on working days (Monday to Friday) - expect delivery on next working day (Monday to Friday).
- UK Free Delivery Option for online only orders of £50.00 excluding VAT or more:
UK Free Delivery Option for online only orders of £50.00 excluding VAT or more is free and takes approximately 5 - 6 working days. Purchases shipped with Free Delivery cannot be tracked!
- UK Saturday Delivery (£13.50 + VAT):
Saturday Delivery applies only to the UK Mainland Only. Saturday Delivery Orders must be placed before 2 pm on the Friday. Orders received after 2 pm on Friday will be delivered on Saturday next week.
Overseas Shipping Schedule
- Overseas deliveries take approximately 7 - 14 working days depending on destination.
- Shipping costs depend on the type of goods and the delivery address.
- Cost of shipping is shown in the Checkout prior to the completion of the purchase.
- VAT is removed automatically from all purchases for deliveries outside the EU.
- Customs Fees or Import Duties may be charged in the country of destination outside the EU. If such charges apply, they are the customer’s responsibility. Custom Fees or Import Duties do not apply to deliveries to EU countries.
One adjustable size for legs with calf circumference of up to 58 cm
Venowave VW5-6 Mobile Compression Device kit consists of 2 units with cuffs and velcro straps (TWIN PACK), 2 sets of 4 rechargeable batteries, charger, user guide and quick user guide on the inside of the packaging. CE mark Medical Device and 3 months warranty.
VAT exemption is available, when purchased for personal use by people with relevant chronic conditions. VAT relief declaration must be completed online at the time of purchase.