Mowoot Chronic Constipation Therapy System
MOWOOT II - the Natural Solution to Chronic Constipation
Mowoot II is an innovative therapy system that utilises advanced pneumatic technology to treat and prevent chronic constipation without laxatives, enemas and colon cleansing supplements. Suitable for home use as well as for use in clinics, hospitals and care homes, the Mowoot II is compact and portable and can be easily moved between rooms and locations.
Developed by a team of scientists, doctors, physiotherapists and engineers at the neurological rehabilitation centre Institute Guttmann in the city of Barcelona, Spain, the MOWOOT mimics manual abdominal massage that stimulates colon to speed up intestinal transit in people with chronic constipation.
MOWOOT is indicated for the treatment and management of chronic constipation in people with spinal cord injuries, multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s Disease, people with constipation caused by certain medications and people presenting with idiopathic chronic constipation, such as menopausal and post-menopausal women and the elderly.
Clinically proven to help people with idiopathic chronic constipation and neurogenic bowel patients, the MOWOOT was found to double evacuation frequency, soften stools, improve regularity, reduce gasses and bloating, relieve abdominal discomfort and effectively combat chronic constipation.
10 – 20 minutes per day of MOWOOT II therapy produces improvements and significant results in just 3 - 7 days after the first treatment. Positive health benefits and greater quality of life are achieved with long-term use.
Non-invasive and drug-free, the MOWOOT II therapy does not have side-effects associated with pharmacological anti-constipation interventions and the MOWOOT therapy does not lose its efficacy with long-term use. Comfortable and simple to use day after day, the MOWOOT II is the effective solution to problems of chronic constipation. Regular daily use of the MOWOOT II alleviates constipation and improves quality of life!
MOWOOT II is a Class 2 Medical Device (CE 0086).
MOWOOT II overview
- Therapy system for prevention and treatment of chronic constipation
- Utilises advanced pneumatic technology
- Applies sequential pneumatic compression to mimic manual abdominal colon massage that stimulates peristalsis and intestinal transit
- Does not use electrostimulation or heat
- Safe, effective and clinically proven
- Helps to achieve regular and easier bowel movements
- Reduces discomfort and pain associated with constipation
- Eliminates intestinal gasses
- Reduces pain associated with abdominal bloating
- Reduces discomfort caused by evacuation
- Reduces time spent in the bathroom
- Improves health and wellbeing
- Improves appetite
- Improves quality of life
- Easy to use, comfortable and pleasant in use
- Convenient non-invasive and non-irritating treatment
- Cheaper than long-term ongoing purchases of laxatives
- Can be used sitting or lying down, thus utilising time
- Daily short 10 – 20 minutes sessions
- Improvements achieved as early as 3 – 7 days after first treatment
- Long-term use delivers lasting health benefits
- Powered by mains power: 100 – 240 V, 50 – 60 Hz (3 pin UK adapter included)
- 4 sizes of pneumatic massaging belts (i.e. actuators), based on waist circumference: Small: 65 – 85 cm / Medium: 80 – 100 cm / Large: 95 – 115 cm / Extra Large: 110 – 130 cm
- Timer: 0 – 20 minutes
- Treatment time: 5 – 20 minutes
- Variable treatment speed: adjustable from 1 – 5
- Frequency: 4.5 seconds / cycle - 11 seconds/cycle
- Dimensions: 22 x 17 x 13 cm
- Console weight: 1.5 kg
- Medical Device Class 2 a (CE 0086)
- 2 years warranty
- Developed by usMIMA S.L., Spain
More about the MOWOOT II
Consisting of the Mowoot II desk top console and 4 independently attachable pneumatic massaging belts (i.e. actuators), the MOWOOT II system performs abdominal pressure massage that mimics manual anti-constipation massage that is normally administered by professional therapists in hospitals or clinics.
The MOWOOT’s sequential pneumatic compression massage penetrates abdomen up to 7 cm depth to stimulate the colon. Abdominal massage evokes peristalsis, the wave-like muscle contractions that propel food forward along the digestive track (i.e. intestinal transit), normalising the bowel emptying routine and regularity and preventing constipation.
MOWOOT II is light and equipped with a handle bar for easy lifting during transportation. One click connector enables simple belt connection to the console. 1 or 2 individual belts can be connected to the MOWOOT II console to treat 1 or 2 people at the same time.
Treatment is comfortable and relaxing and takes only 10 - 20 minutes per day with optimum improvements apparent in as little as 3 – 7 days after commencement of daily treatments. For best treatment outcomes and greatest quality of life, long-term use is recommended.
- Herrero-Fresneda, I; Benet, M; Calzada, A; Wilhelms, M. “Colon-specific automatic massage ameliorates idiopathic chronic constipation in aged women.” Eur Ger Med 2016; Supp: P-593. 12th EUGMS International Congress European Union Geriatric, Medicine Society, Lisbon, 5-7 Oct 2016
- Emly M. Abdominal massage for adults with learning disabilities. Nurse Times 2001: 97:61-62.
- Lamas K et al. Effects of abdominal massage in management of constipation: Randomised controlled trial. Int J Nurs Stud 2009: 46:759-67
- McClurg D, et al. Abdominal massage for the alleviation of constipation symptoms in people with multiple sclerosis: a randomized controlled feasibility study. Mult Scler. 2011: 17:223-33.
Using MOWOOT II Chronic Constipation Therapy System
Using MOWOOT II is simple and convenient and you will quickly become familiar with the system and how to use it for best outcomes in your fight against chronic constipation. MOWOOT II therapy is effective and using MOWOOT II as recommended will successfully treat and manage your constipation associated problems. MOWOOT II will improve your quality of life quickly, effectively and long term!
Useful tips for successful use of the MOWOOT II
- Read the user manual before first use and familiarise yourself with the MOWOOT II parts and controls. Retain user manual for future reference.
- The MOWOOT II treatment takes only 10 – 20 minutes and should be performed daily at around the same time of the day. You can use MOWOOT II, when sitting or lying down.
- For best outcomes, perform the MOWOOT II treatments regularly every day at circa the same time of the day. After commencing the MOWOOT II treatments, perform the sessions daily until the symptoms begin to improve and alleviate. For lasting health benefits and continued quality of life, use your MOWOOT II long-term!
Steps to follow, when embarking on the use of the MOWOOT II
- Before commencing on the MOWOOT II treatment, ensure that the MOWOOT II console unit is placed safely on a flat surface, where you can reach its controls easily during treatment session.
- Connect the power adapter cable to the adapter and connect with the MOWOOT II. Plug the device to mains power socket for the duration of the treatment. Ensure that the Main Switch located at the back of the MOWOOT II console is ON.
- Wear comfortable loose clothing, free of zippers, buttons and decorations, such as embroidery. Ensure your abdomen is covered with your clothing and always remains underneath the MOWOOT II belt during your treatment.
- Place the abdominal massage belt on the abdomen, tighten it round your waist and fasten with Velcro. You should see the air tubes exiting the belt on the left side of your body.
- Locate the belt connector at the end of the belt tubes and insert the connector to the air outlet on the front of the console – you should hear a ‘click’ signalling that the belt is correctly and securely in place. The MOWOOT logo printed on the connector should be facing up. Further on, plug the additional ‘blocking connector’ to the unused air outlet at the front of the console to block the air from escaping.
- If you aim to treat yourself and another person, there is another air outlet at the front of the console for connection of the second belt – connect both belts to the console.
- Check that the controls on the console and the connections with the belt tubes are reachable easily during treatment.
- You can assume a sitting position or lying position, as required or preferred.
- Use Start/Stop button to commence the treatment.
- Adjust the Speed Knob to your preference or need.
- Set the Time Knob to the treatment duration desired. The maximum treatment time is 20 minutes.
- Relax and enjoy your MOWOOT II abdominal massage treatment session.
- When the treatment is complete, the MOWOOT II stops automatically. Should you need to stop the treatment during session, you can do it easily anytime. Simply press Start/Stop button.
- Disconnect the belt from the console. Turn off the Main Switch and disconnect the MOWOOT II from the mains power socket.
Remember that with regular daily application and long-term treatment perseverance, the MOWOOT II treatment will alleviate your constipation, improve your wellbeing and quality of life!
MOWOOT II maintenance
- Ensure that the device is switched off and disconnected from mains power electrical outlet.
- Wipe the console clean with a moist cloth. Do not allow any water, liquids or moisture to penetrate or enter the console. Ensure the console is completely dry before re-connecting it with electricity!
- Clean the abdominal massaging belt(s) by wiping its surfaces with a soft cloth moistened with water and mild detergent or soap. Do not submerge the belt into water! Do not allow water or liquids to enter the air inlets. Wipe the belt to remove any detergent residues. Dry by wiping with soft clean towel. For extra hygiene, wipe both surfaces of the belt with alcohol and allow to dry before use.
- Store the MOWOOT II system (console and abdominal belt) away from direct sunlight in a dry shaded place. Store the adapter and the power cord with plug securely.
MOWOOT II technical specifications
- Timer: 5 – 20 minutes
- Dimensions: 22 x 17 x 13 cm
- Weight: 1.5 kg
- Power input: 100 – 240 V, 50 – 60 Hz
- Number of actuators: 4
- Numbers of belt sizes: 4
- Rated voltage: 12 VDC
- Set pressure: 375 mmHg (~ 0.5 bar)
- Maximum treatment frequency: 4.5 seconds/cycle
- Minimum treatment frequency: 11 seconds/cycle
- Operating conditions: 10 to 30° C; 30 to 85% RH; 700 – 1060 hPa
- Storage/transport conditions: - 20 to 70° C; 10 to 93% RH
- Familiarise yourself with user manual prior to use
- Follow all indications, recommendations, warnings and precautions listed in the user manual
- Consult your doctor, if in any doubts as to your personal suitability for the use of MOWOOT II
- Do not use, when pregnant
- Do not use, if suffering with inguinal, umbilical or abdominal hernia
- Do not use, if presenting with rectal or vaginal prolapse
- Do not use, if diagnosed with tumours or abdominal cancer
- Do not use, while having broken vertebra
- When in doubt, consult your doctor or a nurse about using MOWOOT II
MOWOOT - Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: What does MOWOOT do?
A: MOWOOT reproduces in a very precise way the abdominal massage that physiotherapists administer to patients suffering with chronic constipation:
- Activate the natural movement of the large intestine
- Encourage intestinal transit
- Improve stool consistency and make it softer
- Eliminate abdominal bloating
- Reduce evacuation time
However, please note that the MOWOOT does not work on the anal sphincters. If you have a problem with the muscles of the sphincters, you will reduce the time of evacuation with MOWOOT, but to be able to evacuate, you will still need an external physical stimulus, such as suppository, micro-enema or digital stimulation.
Q2: How will I know that MOWOOT works? What will I observe?
A: The massage delivered by the MOWOOT mimics the movement that your intestines should do naturally. If you use it daily between 10 and 20 minutes, you will observe the following changes:
- The frequency of defecation will increase and you will go more often to the bathroom
- The faecal consistency will improve, making your stools softer and easier to expel
- You will spend less time with each evacuation
- You will no longer have the feeling that you have not finished emptying your bowel completely
- You will be rid of gases and your abdomen will be less bloated
- You will have more appetite and greater desire to include new foods in your diet
Effectiveness of the MOWOOT in solving constipation has been proven by a clinical study presented at the Congress of the Society of Geriatric Medicine of the European Union. All participants increased the mean number of stools per week, reported a significant improvement in stool consistency and a noticeable reduction in defecation time.
Q3: When will I notice results?
A: It depends on each patient and can be days or weeks. There are patients, who notice that their intestines work better after the first couple of days.
Unlike other solutions, such as laxatives or enemas, MOWOOT improves its effectiveness over time and its benefits increase with every use.
In any case, you should notice the beneficial effect of MOWOOT therapy within two months.
Q4: How long should I use MOWOOT?
A: We recommend a minimum of 10 to 20 minutes a day for the abdominal massage to be effective. The time of use depends a lot on the severity of constipation (longer use offers more benefits) and your personal preferences or circumstances.
Q5: Do I have to use MOWOOT several times a day?
A: It is not necessary to use MOWOOT several times a day, but there is no problem in doing so. There are patients who use it up to 3 times a day.
Recommended use is 20 minutes a day. You can use MOWOOT once a day for 20 minutes, 2 times for 10 minutes each or even more, if you need or prefer.
Q6: What is the best time of day to use MOWOOT?
A: It is recommended to always use MOWOOT at the same time of day to help the bowel establish a healthy routine. Ideally you should use it in the morning after waking up, but it can be any other time of day that is preferable for you.
The important thing is that you are relaxed and not in a hurry. If you do not have time in the morning, do it at night before bed or in the afternoon, while reading or watching TV.
You should identify a daily stress-free time in your lifestyle and perform the MOWOOT massage every day at that very same time.
Q7: Can I use MOWOOT after eating?
A: Although MOWOOT does not affect the stomach, it is better not to use MOWOOT immediately after eating. The massage treatment works more effectively on an empty stomach.
Q8: Does MOWOOT use electrostimulation?
A: No, the MOWOOT utilises pneumatic technology that is free of side-effects.
The MOWOOT massage belt accurately delivers therapeutic abdominal massage through pneumatic actuators, which inflate and deflate with compressed air to rhythmically press the abdomen, following the course of the ascending and descending colon.
Q9: Can MOWOOT apply too much pressure?
A: No, MOWOOT is equipped with sensors that constantly monitor that the applied pressure is correct and adequate. If pressure above the recommended limits is applied, the device will sound an alarm and turn off after five seconds.
Q10: Will I need assistance with using MOWOOT?
A: MOWOOT can be used without assistance by most users.
Q11: How do I choose my size of MOWOOT?
A: MOWOOT is available with belts in four sizes, depending on the circumference of your waist:
- Small: 65 – 85 cm
- Medium: 80 – 100 cm
- Large: 95 – 115 cm
- Extra Large: 110 – 130 cm
Measure around your waist at the height of the belly button.
Q12: The belt logo is not centred. Should I order another size?
A: Although the belt logo is not centred, this does not imply that another size is needed.
Q13: When I adjust the MOWOOT I see the Velcro, should I order another size?
A: You may see part of the Velcro exposed, but it does not mean you need a different belt size.
Q14: Does MOWOOT have contraindications?
A: It is recommended that you do not use MOWOOT in the following cases:
- If you are suffering from an acute episode of diverticulitis
- If you are pregnant
- If you have implants in the abdomen
- If you have colon cancer, polyps, or other colon diseases. In these cases, we recommend that you consult your doctor
- If use causes or increases abdominal pain
Q15: Does MOWOOT cause any side effects?
A: No, MOWOOT reproduces the abdominal massage as administered by therapists to facilitate intestinal transit. Abdominal massage is the only solution to chronic constipation without adverse effects. To date, when the MOWOOT is used correctly, no negative side effects have been reported by the users.
Q16: I have a dysfunction in the anorectal sphincters, can MOWOOT help me?
A: If you suffer a dysfunction in the anorectal sphincters, the MOWOOT will reduce the evacuation time, but you will still need an external physical stimulus (suppository, micro-enema or digital stimulation) to evacuate. MOWOOT massage stimulates the intestinal transit and makes the stool softer and easier to expel, but you still will need to stimulate the sphincter.
Q17: I suffer diverticulosis, is MOWOOT suitable for me?
A: Yes, you can use MOWOOT if you have diverticulosis, because the massage increases intestinal transit and therefore helps the emptying of the colon. Consequently, the likelihood of episodes of diverticulitis is reduced.
Important note: In case of an active episode of diverticulitis, it is necessary to stop using MOWOOT for the duration of the episode.
Q18: I have recurrent episodes of constipation, is MOWOOT right for me?
A: If you experience recurrent episodes of constipation alternating with periods of bowel normality or periods of diarrhoea, MOWOOT can help you during the episodes of constipation. The specific colon massage will stimulate intestinal transit, improve the consistency of the stool (make them softer) and reduce evacuation time.
Important note: If you suffer from recurrent episodes of constipation, we recommend consulting your doctor to rule out inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) or irritable bowel syndrome.
Q19: Since I’m on medication for my health condition, I have constipation. Is it normal? Can MOWOOT help me?
A: Yes, it is normal to get constipated on some medications, such as antidepressant and psychiatric drugs or drug treatments for chronic diseases (i.e. diabetes, hypertension, heart failure, kidney failure, etc.).
MOWOOT can help you resolve chronic constipation by activating the natural movement of the large intestine through a specific abdominal massage that promotes intestinal transit, softens stool and reduces evacuation time.
Q20: My constipation has become more persistent with age. Is it normal? Can MOWOOT help me?
A: Yes, constipation is more common in the elderly. It is normal that as you age, it gets more difficult to go to the bathroom, that you go less often and / or that you need an external physical stimulus (i.e. suppository, micro-enema or digital stimulation) to be able to evacuate.
MOWOOT activates natural movement of the large intestine through specific massage and speeds up intestinal transit, softens stool and reduces stool evacuation time.
If you have a problem with anal sphincters, MOWOOT will speed up intestinal transit and make stool softer, However, to evacuate, you will still need an external physical stimulus (suppository, micro-enema or digital stimulation).
Q21: My constipation has become more troublesome since the menopause. Can MOWOOT help me?
A: Constipation is more common after menopause. MOWOOT massage activates natural intestinal movement, improving intestinal transit, softening the stool and shortens evacuation time.
Q22: Could it be that I suffer from constipation due to my diet? Can MOWOOT help me?
A: Yes, constipation is common in people, who eat a diet low in fibre and water. MOWOOT activates natural intestinal movement through a specific abdominal massage and speeds up intestinal transit, softens stool and reduces evacuation time.
Some patients report that MOWOOT helped to change their dietary habits to include and eat foods not tolerated before.
Q23: For some time, due to circumstances, I repressed the need to go to the bathroom and now I suffer from constipation and find it difficult to open my bowels. is it normal? Can MOWOOT help me?
A: Firstly, you should consult your doctor to establish, if you have a dysfunction of the anal sphincters in addition to constipation.
If you suffer a dysfunction in the anorectal sphincters, MOWOOT will increase intestinal transit and soften your stools, but to evacuate you will still need an external physical stimulus (suppository, micro-enema or digital stimulation) to enable you to evacuate.
If your problem is just a chronic constipation, MOWOOT will help you to solve it.
Q24: I have constipation since I suffered a spinal cord injury. Can MOWOOT help me?
A: Yes, 60% of spinal cord injured patients suffer constipation due to neurogenic bowel syndrome. When autonomic nervous system does not function properly, the body loses control of its sphincters and the ability to generate muscular contractions that propel digested food along digestive tract in peristaltic wave motion.
MOWOOT abdominal massage activates peristalsis, speeds up intestinal transit, softens stools and reduces evacuation time.
However, if you suffer a dysfunction in the anorectal sphincters, in addition to using MOWOOT, you will still need an external physical stimulus (suppository, micro-enema or digital stimulation) to help you evacuate. Once you have applied the suppository or the micro-enema or helped with fingers, you will expel the faeces easier and faster.
Spinal cord injury patients, who tried MOWOOT are delighted, because it works very well for them.
Q25: I have constipation due to a neurological disease. Can MOWOOT help me?
A: Yes, up to 80% of patients with neurological diseases, such as multiple sclerosis or Parkinson’s disease suffer from constipation due to neurogenic bowel syndrome. In neurogenic bowel syndrome the autonomic nervous system does not function properly. The body loses control of its sphincters and the ability to generate peristalsis, wave-like muscle contractions that push the digested food matter along the digestive tract. MOWOOT activates peristalsis, the natural intestinal movement through specific abdominal massage and speeds up intestinal transit, softens stool and reduces evacuation time.
However, MOWOOT does not solve the dysfunction of the anorectal sphincters and if you suffer with anal sphincter dysfunction you will still need an external physical stimulus (suppository, micro-enema or digital stimulation) to evacuate. Once you have applied suppository or the micro-enema or helped with fingers, you will expel the faeces easier and faster.
Multiple sclerosis patients, who have tried MOWOOT are delighted, because it works well for them to solve the constipation problem.
MOWOOT II – your perfect solution to chronic constipation that delivers a greater quality of life without the misery of constipation!
UK Shipping Schedule and Costs
UK delivery speed and cost are selectable in the Checkout. All orders are shipped in plain discreet packaging.
- UK Regular Delivery (£4.50 + VAT):
Delivery in 2 - 3 working days. Orders must be received before 2 pm (Monday – Friday).
- UK Next Day by Courier (£7.50 + VAT):
Next Day Delivery by Courier for orders received before 2 pm on working days (Monday to Friday) - expect delivery on next working day (Monday to Friday).
- UK Free Delivery Option for online only orders of £50.00 excluding VAT or more:
UK Free Delivery Option for online only orders of £50.00 excluding VAT or more is free and takes approximately 5 - 6 working days. Purchases shipped with Free Delivery cannot be tracked!
- UK Saturday Delivery (£13.50 + VAT):
Saturday Delivery applies only to the UK Mainland Only. Saturday Delivery Orders must be placed before 2 pm on the Friday. Orders received after 2 pm on Friday will be delivered on Saturday next week.
Overseas Shipping Schedule
- Overseas deliveries take approximately 7 - 14 working days depending on destination.
- Shipping costs depend on the type of goods and the delivery address.
- Cost of shipping is shown in the Checkout prior to the completion of the purchase.
- VAT is removed automatically from all purchases for deliveries outside the EU.
- Customs Fees or Import Duties may be charged in the country of destination outside the EU. If such charges apply, they are the customer’s responsibility. Custom Fees or Import Duties do not apply to deliveries to EU countries.
Dimensions: 22 x 17 x 13 cm / Console weight: 1.5 kg
Please select your MOWOOT II kit with the belt in your waist circumference size (see sizing below). Please ensure that your waist measurement is within the selected belt size! Additional belts are available separately.
- Small: 65 – 85 cm
- Medium: 80 – 100 cm
- Large: 95 – 115 cm
- Extra Large: 110 – 130 cm
MOWOOT II Kits
- MOWOOT II with Small Belt (65 – 85 cm) consists of the MOWOOT II console, small size abdominal belt, air outlet blocking connector, mains power adapter with power cord and 3 pin UK plug, user manual and quick start guide. CE 0086 and 2 years warranty.
- MOWOOT II with Medium Belt (80 – 100 cm) consists of the MOWOOT II console, medium size abdominal belt, air outlet blocking connector, mains power adapter with power cord and 3 pin UK plug, user manual and quick start guide. CE 0086 and 2 years warranty.
- MOWOOT II with Large Belt (95 - 115 cm) consists of the MOWOOT II console, large size abdominal belt, air outlet blocking connector, mains power adapter with power cord and 3 pin UK plug, user manual and quick start guide. CE 0086 and 2 years warranty.
- MOWOOT II with X Large Belt (110 - 130 cm) consists of the MOWOOT II console, extra-large size abdominal belt, air outlet blocking connector, mains power adapter with power cord and 3 pin UK plug, user manual and quick start guide. CE 0086 and 2 years warranty.
MOWOOT II Abdominal Massaging Belts
- Small Belt (65 - 85 cm) with tube and connector.
- Medium Belt (80 – 100 cm) with tube and connector.
- Large Belt (95 – 115 cm) with tube and connector.
- X Large Belt (110 – 130 cm) with tube and connector.
VAT exemption is available to people suffering with chronic constipation and with chronic conditions that lead to constipation. VAT exemption declaration must be completed at the time of purchase. You can do this online.